The Little Red Bus
1956 brought a splash of colour to Post Office Cable and Wireless Services in the shape of a bright red 27-foot long, 6-ton converted coach, which was used as a mobile telegraph office primarily covering sporting events. Commissioned in April of that year and built by Harrington’s of Hove in East Sussex, it had an aluminium body with a 2-stroke Commer diesel engine on a Commer chassis. It would follow major sporting events such as Australian and South African cricket tours of the U.K, International rugby tours and other prime sporting fixtures such as the Open Golf Championships, providing teleprinter and facsimile links to Electra House to convey eagerly awaited press coverage and pictures of the action around the world. Photos courtesy Geoff Boudreau.